Saturday, July 3, 2010

In A Dream

Have you ever had a memory of a place and felt it was in a dream? A hundred years ago, or maybe it was only 40, I lived in this place. A second floor apartment, no air conditioning, summertime, Hamilton, Ontario.

As I look at this photograph, with bedsheets for curtains and unmade bed, I can still hear the tunes from "Bridge Over Troubled Water" playing over and over on the phonograph and the songs of Anne Murray on the Canadian radio station. How strange a time this was.

If I say this is from "Bookends" - you'll know...

"Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
A time of innocence, a time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; they're all that's left you"

Memories and a few photographs are all that's left from the the long, hot, 1970 Canadian summer.

Flickr set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/delosj/sets/72157603318858058/

No comments: